Another edition has wrapped for the St. Croix Winter Ultra, and we’ll be telling the tales of this one for years to come. From the modified course to the conditions itself, the park delivered some of the biggest challenges we’ve seen yet.
Through it all, you triumphed. Whether or not a medallion was claimed, we know the course left every racer with stories and lessons to be shared. You all had a reason for being here, and we hope you found what you were seeking out there under the stars.
This race – like all races – has a million and one moving parts, and it simply wouldn’t be possible without the volunteers who show up each year. Races like this can be tricky, with hours of downtime and moments of intense activity. The fact that we’re able to find folks willing to stand in the cold at 2am, watching for dots of light coming down the trail, is a testament to how special the winter ultra scene is. These races are a refuge for the audacious, and our volunteers are no different! Thank you to each and every one who showed up to stoke fires, flip pancakes, and wait patiently for water to boil over and over again.
On that note, we want to send a special thanks to Chef Peter from NOLO’s Kitchen and Bar. When he – an SC40 finisher himself – reached out and said he wanted to make food for our racers and volunteers, we enthusiastically accepted. We feel safe in saying that this was the best food we’ve ever had in the woods, and we’re thrilled that we had the opportunity to share it with you.
Finally, the crunchy details:
- We have a Lost and Found! Check the picture attached to this email and let us know if any of this gear belongs to you. Anything unclaimed after 30 days will be donated/tossed/reused.
- Results are posted to our site, along with an updated Historical Finish Rate sheet for your amusement.
- RACE REPORTS!! Did you write up your experience in a blog or create a YouTube video? Please send us the link so we can add them to our Race Reports page.
- Photos from our photographer will be added to our Race Photos page as we get links to albums. If you were out there taking pictures and have posted a public album, send over the link!
- As always, feel free to tag us on social media and use the hashtag #stcroixwinterultra when sharing your posts.
- Make sure to check out all of our partners who provided prizes this year. These are great companies to work with and we’re thrilled to have them along this journey with us!
And last, but not least, next year’s date is tentatively set for January 13-14, 2024. Mark your calendars and watch for registration to open in August of 2023.
We can’t wait to see everyone again soon!