The St. Croix Winter Ultra takes place fully within the St. Croix State Park near Hinckley, MN (30065 St Croix Park Rd, Hinckley, MN 55037).
Enter the park through the main entrance and proceed to the Park Headquarters building. Turn left and follow the signs to the Trail Center. This will bring you to the Race HQ. The checkpoint is in the parking lot behind the Park HQ building.
The event starts at 4:30 pm on Saturday, with the first race beginning at 6:00 pm.
All participants must be completed by 10:00 am Sunday morning. This means foot/ski racers have 16 hours to complete the course, and bikers have 12 hours. This requires a 2.5 mph average pace for people on foot/ski.
You also must be through the checkpoint (mile 24) by 3 am. This means that foot and ski have 9 hours (2.6 mph) and bikers have 5 hours (4.8 mph) to complete the first half of the course. Trust us, if you aren’t through the checkpoint by this time you’re probably not going to make the final cutoff.
NOTE The checkpoint is outdoors and will only have water available. There are no inside facilities at the checkpoint (besides a very cold vault toilet).
The Race HQ (Start/Finish) is located at the Trail Center within the park (Google Map). This building is fully heated, has bathrooms and showers, and will be the location for the gear check, pre-race meetings, and finish line breakfast.
- 4:30 pm – Gear check-in begins for foot/ski
- 5:45 pm – Gather at start
- 6:00 pm – Foot/ski race begins!
- 8:30 pm – Gear check-in begins for bike
- 9:45 pm – Gather at start
- 10:00 pm – Bike race begins!
- 3:00 am – Checkpoint (mile 24) closes
- 3:00 am – Finish line breakfast begins!
- 10:00 am – Finish line closes
Gear Skill Checks
The Gear Skill Checks are as follows:
- Start race in sleeping bag and bivy sack. Must pack up all gear at starting bell and begin race.
- At halfway aid station must boil 12oz of water using stove kit
The course follows groomed snowmobile trails throughout the park. Conditions of the trails are dependent on snowfall and temperature. Participants can expect a beautiful tour of this amazing Minnesota State Park!